A Plenary Indulgence For the 100th Year Fatima Anniversary
Pope Francis has granted a plenary indulgence opportunity for the 100th anniversary of the Our Lady of Fatima apparitions throughout the centennial year, from the 27th of November 2016 until the 26th of November 2017. Listed in a statement from the Fatima Shrine in Portugal, there are three ways to obtain the indulgence:
- Make a pilgrimage to the shrine. The faithful can make a pilgrimage to the Fatima Shrine in Portugal and participate in a celebration of prayer dedicated to the Virgin. In addition, the faithful must pray the Our Father, recite the Creed and invoke the Mother of God.
- Pray before any statue of Our Lady of Fatima. The faithful, with devotion, can visit a statue of Our Lady of Fatima solemnly exposed for public veneration in any church, oratory or proper place place of prayer during the days of the anniversary of the apparitions, the 13th of each month from May to October 2017, and there devoutly participate in some celebration or prayer in honour of the Virgin Mary. In addition, the faithful must pray the Our Father, recite the Creed and invoke Our Lady of Fatima.
- The elderly and infirm. The faithful who, because of age, illness or other serious causes, are unable to get around, may pray in front of a statue of Our Lady of Fatima and must spiritually unite themselves to the jubilee celebrations on the days of the apparitions, the 13th of each month, between May and October 2017. They must also “offer to merciful God with confidence, through Mary, their prayers and sufferings or the sacrifices they make in their own lives.”
To obtain the plenary indulgence, the faithful must also fulfill the ordinary conditions:
- Go to confession and communion
- Be interiorly detached from sin
- Pray for the intentions of the Holy Father